Social Media Disclaimer
Only certain types of speech are subject to government restrictions. The below is a narrowly-tailored disclaimer that balances the public’s freedom of speech/expression with the MTPD’s legitimate governmental interest in hiding, removing and/or deleting certain social media comments. *
The Monroe Township Police Department (MTPD) endorses the secure use of social media to enhance and support MTPD program goals and objectives as well as to facilitate interaction with the community. There is no endorsement, implied or otherwise, by the MTPD of any fan posts, commentary, links, or photos. Writers/fans/followers are fully responsible for the content that they submit. Opinions expressed by the writers/fans are not the opinions of the MTPD and/or the Township of Monroe.
This social media site is intended to serve as a mechanism for communication between the public and the MTPD on the listed topics. Any comments submitted to the MTPD social media site are public records, and may be subject to the Open Public Records Act or OPRA.
Comments are important to us and others who read these pages. The MTPD seeks to ensure that this page and all posted comments are appropriate for, and respectful of, the diverse population that we serve, and that this environment is inclusive and safe for, and tolerant of, all participants. Pursuant to the Monroe Township Police Department’s social media policy, the MTPD reserves the right to hide, remove and/or delete posts that:
- Contain hate speech;
- Incite illegal or harmful action, or are a clear violation of local, State, or federal laws;
- Are meant to provoke a violent response from another individual;
- Contain true threats wherein the speaker communicates an intent to commit an unlawful act of violence against a particular person, group or entity;
- Are obscene or contain profanity;
- Contain personal identifying information of a third party;
- Contain threatening or harassing language and/or comments; and
- Contain proprietary information, intellectual property, and/or copyrighted or trademarked images or graphics that are posted without the approval of the owner;
- Contain hyperlinks, regardless of the nature of the link.
* Social media posts should only be hidden, removed and/or deleted consistent with the Monroe Township Police Department’s Social Media Use Policy.
Social Media Use Policy
Monroe Township Police Department engages the community through many digital outlets, including Monroetwppolice.org, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Communicating with the Police Department through social media further enables the community to contact the Police Department in a direct and meaningful way.
Please be aware that when engaging with the Monroe Township Police Department over social media, you are agreeing to the following:
Commenting on Monroe Township Police Department Social Media Site
Monroe Township agencies share information, images and video with the public through external social media websites. Comments made by the public to these sites are reviewed and, while comments will not be edited by Police Department personnel, a comment may be deleted if it violates the comment policy described here.
- Comments should be related to the posted topic for the Police Department’s social media page or post. Monroe Township Police Department social media accounts are not meant for comments that do not directly relate to the purpose or topic of the social media website or for service requests. For general comments or communications concerning the agency, please contact us through our Community Relations Bureau.
- You are subject to the Terms of Service (TOS) of the host site. Information (photos, videos, etc.) you share with or post to official Monroe Township Police Department page is also subject to the TOS of the host site and may be used by the owners of the host site for their own purposes. For more information, consult the host website’s TOS.
- Monroe Township Police Department social media accounts are not open to comments promoting or opposing any person campaigning for election to a political office, or promotion or advertisement of a business or commercial transaction.
- The use of obscene, threatening or harassing language is prohibited.
- Personal attacks of any kind or offensive comments that target or disparage any ethnic, racial, age, or religious group, gender, sexual orientation or disability status are prohibited.
- Comments advocating illegal activity or posting of material that violates copyrights or trademarks of others are prohibited.
- This comment policy is subject to amendment or modification at any time.
- Comments may not contain hyperlinks, regardless of the nature of the link.
User Created Content
Users are welcome to submit or post content, including photographs and videos, to an official Monroe Township Police Department site where the agency allows users to post content, the content meets the standards articulated in this Social Media Use Policy and pertains to the subject of the social media site. Users may only post their own, original content. Reproduced or borrowed content that reasonably appears to violate third party rights will be deleted.
Questions or Concerns
Questions or concerns regarding Monroe Township Police Department social media activity, social media policy and/or this Social Media Use Policy should be submitted online.